Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thankfulness

Today is traditional…well, mostly traditional. I wanted to do a Cajun Thanksgiving, but Son the Butcher put his foot down. He really is a very traditional boy, and he did bring me the most gorgeous Diestel turkey home from work. So we are compromising, without him knowing it. We will include some Cajun spices in the turkey rub and we will make 2 kinds of mashed potatoes—regular and a recipe Daughter found called Cajun Mash (recipe tomorrow if all goes well). Also stuffing, green beans, salad with spiced pecans, blue cheese, and dried cranberries, rolls, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, and chocolate pound cake.

But enough about food. Today is Thanksgiving and I will either be cooking food or eating food, allllll day long. So I just want to take the time to be thankful.

I am thankful that we will have enough food to eat tonight and that my mother and stepfather will be joining us for this Thanksgiving meal. They have a bit of a trip to make, but so generously offered to drive down when they found out my father and his wife would not be here to celebrate the holiday with us. And while I am very sad that I will probably never spend another holiday with my father, due to his illness and move to Missouri, I am very thankful for the extra time we have had together. We were told he only had days to live in July of this year, but he is hanging on, with a tenacious will to live. I am thankful for a wonderful family and friends who have supported me through that difficult time, kept me centered on the right path and make my life so rich and full. Without them I would be lost, huddled in a corner in some insane asylum, babbling to myself in some foreign-sounding tongue.

I am thankful to have been given the opportunity to do my book, The World Is a Kitchen, and to be able to continue this blog, with the help and encouragement of family, friends, and people like you. Both have brought me new friends and adventures and keep me focused on food and writing, of which I love.

I am thankful for every day. I know, now more than ever, the importance of every day. Some times I am too busy to remember that and sometimes I take it for granted, but I am working toward being better about these things. About savoring the events of every day, of trying to enjoy every day, and of trying to be more thankful every day.

And what are you thankful for?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Mrs B!

Tea said...

Friends like you! And a day hanging out with Alice--so cute she almost breaks your heart. Hope the stealth Cajun Thanksgiving went well:-)

Helene said...

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Your crostada was a hit, it was only for the 2 of us but there is only one slice left this morning and 4 hnugry eyes coveting it!