Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Vacation Time Is Over


Yep, I’ve been missing in action while galavanting around the great state of California. Had a great time in SoCal with new baby Reagan and her big sister, Katherine (who loved my Cowboy Burgers). Then over to my brother’s home for a few days. He was more than a bit under the weather due to some very questionable food at an upscale SoCal eatery. In fact, he had been in bed for 5 days. So I whipped up a batch of my Not Your Grandmother’s Chicken Soup for him. It’s good for what ails you, whether cold, flu, tummy or otherwise. Seemed to help aid in his recovery. Either that or it was my mere presence that helped bring the color back into his face….

We stopped back at home to repack and shop and we were off to our favorite annual summer spot, Pinecrest Lake. Given the late date of our visit, it was like having our own private beach. Very few visitors, since school had started everywhere. Kind of nice. Trails were quiet, boat rentals were half-price, and I got the R&R I so desperately needed.

The good news is that while I was gone, my garden flourished. We didn’t get a garden planted in the spring, but I was determined not to wait until next year. I planted an early fall garden with help from Butcher Son. In went lettuce, radishes, carrots, cilantro, sorrel (just for you Tea), beets, cauliflower and horseradish. Mr. B installed a drip system throughout the garden to minimize water use and then we waited.

It’s been wonderful to watch all the little green shoots push up out of the dirt and every time I went out, there were new leaves on everything. So almost two weeks away gave all the little guys time to grow and make mama proud. And that they did. The lettuce is getting close to ready, the pumpkins are finally taking off and the horseradish is going strong, with some wicked sticker leaves shooting up. But best of all, I had my first harvest. I was actually able to pick the first of radishes!

Ah, the glory of picking your own food. Such a joy. I wanted to share the crop with the family, so I made a simple chimol, inspired my friend Tea and Tea & Cookies, and served it with skirt steak tacos, homemade black beans, and a salad. The chimol was the perfect crunchy complement to the juicy skirt steak and there was nary a word at the table as we relished the meal.

Can’t wait for the rest of the garden to grace my table.

No comments: