Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Simple Things in Life: Roast Beef Revisited

I remember spending weekdays with my nana, watching her cook dinner every single night for my papa. Some things made me run and hide, like liver and onions and finnan haddie (a stinky smoked fish that she used to cook in milk); others made me stand near the stove with anticipation, namely mince served over mashed potatoes and her roast beef. Those memories came to the forefront this week while I was shopping and saw boneless rib roasts on sale for $1.89/pound.

For a mere $6.24, I got a 3.3 pound roast that would feed 6 (or 4 plus leftovers for sandwiches). Getting ready to cook dinner, I’d almost forgotten how simple it could be to cook a roast beef. Really. It took me absolutely no time to fix dinner. I literally unpackaged the roast, put it on a roasting rack in a pan and stuck it in the oven for about 2 1/4 hours at 325 degrees. (Yes, you can season the outside if you want, but there really is no need.)

About an hour into it, I threw in some scrubbed baking potatoes and when all was done, I tossed some spring mix lettuces with veggies and dressing and we had a meal. All for less than 5 minutes of prep. Who doesn't have 5 minutes?

I served the roast beef with some leftover blue cheese (from the smoky beef stew I had made for Sunday dinner), because the horseradish in my garden isn’t quite ready for harvest yet. Simple, easy, and tasty.

In this day and age when we are trying to do things quickly, we forget about basic roasting (chicken, beef or pork). While there is a longer lead time than making Hamburger Helper, the actual hands-on time is significantly less. About the same amount as boiling some pasta and heating canned spaghetti sauce, and oh so much better.

So next time you see roasts on sale, grab one and give yourself a break from spending time in the kitchen.

NOTE: The above image is a stock image because, once again, I forgot to get the camera out. But this image looks almost identical to the one that I cooked and I did want to give you an idea of what you would be working with.

No comments: