Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Last Supper (of the week)

I’m off to Los Angeles tomorrow to visit my good friend Jen Leo . We’ll be working on the PR and marketing for my book. Then I get 24 hours with my brother and his family before flying home. Maybe we’ll get to have another tea party.

So, on to tonite’s menu, which features Creamy Corn Polenta, courtesy of a January 1996 issue of Sunset magazine. (I am a recipe clipper from way back….) Since everyone at my house likes corn chowder (and I have a great recipe for that), I thought this would go over well. Of course there are only 3 people living in our house now, so it’s not too hard to please everyone. This is a vegetarian dish, and most pantries include the ingredients, as it requires nothing special. Start to finish is 30 minutes, although there is a shortcut listed below if you wish. It is a rather tame recipe, in that it isn’t spicy or redolent of any particular herb. It is simple comfort food, good even for babies. You could kick it up a notch by adding some fire roasted peppers, some hot salsa, or even by substituting pepper jack for the teleme.

1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup polenta
2 15-oz. cans creamed corn
6 ounces teleme or muenster, thinly sliced
fresh ground pepper


In a 3- to 4-quart pot, mix broth and polenta. Bring toa boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and stir often until polenta is creamy and smooth, about 13 minutes. Stir in creamed corn and heath through, stirring often.

Spoon polenta into bowls, Lay ¼ of cheese on each bowl of polenta and top with a garnish of
thinly sliced green onion, minced tomatoes, or thin strips of roasted red pepper. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.

Note: you can substitute instant polenta, which cooks in about 5 minutes. Simply cook according to package directions, then stir in corn and heat through.

2 comments:

Lubna said...

Oooh, I never knew you were writing a book. I landed on your blog, through Jen's. Well, cooking is not my style, but your blog is super cool.

Mrs. B said...

Welcome Dusty! Maybe I can convert you? Jen has certainly enjoyed mountains of my cooking (and never compained!). Give a shout if you head to the Bay Area and I will cook for you.