Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Easy Appetizer


Brilliant daughter has been making us a wonderful, quickie appetizer that I thought I would share. We had it on New Year’s eve and I was a reminded of what a winner it is. She may have actually gotten the recipe from one of her London flatmates, but since she brought it to us, I will give her all the credit.

Perlini Bruschetta

1 tub of fresh mozzarella perlini (available at Trader Joes)
3 roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 small handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped or chiffonade
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup good quality balsamic
2 T olive oil
salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste

Mix all together and let marinate for several hours (if you can stand it). Serve with fresh or toasted baguette slices.

You can add more or less of everything, based on your preferences and tastes. It shouldn’t be too liquidy, but have enough that can seep in and flavor the perlini.

I also find that if I have any leftover, I throw it in at the end of scrambling eggs, which slightly melts the cheese and warms the tomatoes. I also threw it in some mini-frittatas I made, and I imagine it might be quite good tossed in at the end of a creamy risotto. Use your imagination – waste not, want not….

Brilliant daughter eating aforementioned appetizer:


and yes, the fire is real!

No comments: