Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Postcard from the Edge

I haven’t had much time to read lately, but with a spare hour late one night, I went cruising my favorite blogs. So I was over at Cream Puffs in Venice scoping out the latest delish dish, when I saw a post on The Postcard Event which led me to What’s for Lunch Honey (more on this wonderful site on a different day).

Meeta had put out a challenge. Blogger Postcards from the World. Those of us in the alternate reality (aka blogosphere) were invited to communicate in an old-fashioned honest way via snail mail. In a relatively short time she had 64 people signed up to send a postcard to a perfect stranger.

Right now my life is less than ideal. My father is seriously ill and I am working to get his house on the market. I have just finished the book I have worked on for the last 5 years (although in all fairness, we have only been in production for 9 months) and have what I consider to be the detestable job of working on the tour and publicity (it is definitely not my forte). Work is a bit hectic since I am leaving Saturday for two weeks. But I’m always up for a challenge, and signed right up. Today, I dug through my drawers and reminisced as I pawed through postcards to send. One from my alma mater, from which my daughter just graduated from. Another from the lake we are heading to on Saturday. And the one below – from one of our trips to Mexico.



I'm glad I participated. It was a nice diversion and I really do love being part of the blog community. Everyone I communicate with has been helpful, supportive, and enlightening.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the book. I hope your fathers condition improves.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry your father is ill and yet happy to have found you.
The postcard event has been really wonderful and fun. If all I had was the media, all I would know of humans is murder and mayham. Blogging has been enlightening to say the least.
Hope all works well for you in this chaos we call daily life and hope to know you better soon.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Sorry to hear about your dad! I can imagine how that must feel. I also wish you all the luck with the book. You know whenI started this event I never thought it could touch people in so many different ways. Call me sentimental but after reading your post I almost had tears in my eyes to realize that a simple postcard can bring little joy!

Glad you took part!

Fran said...

Sorry about your father. Hope he improves. Glad you did get to participate in the great postcard event. It has been such fun already-just reading blogs of people who are new to me.

Mrs. B said...

Thank you all for the kind words. This really was a nice diversion and really loved finding new blogs to read. Too bad I can't make it a full-time job! I can read them for hours...

K and S said...

I hope your father's condition will improve quickly.

Great card!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. B,

I'm so happy you took part. Sometimes it's these little things that help us to get through all the other stuff. I'm thinking about ya!

Lubna said...

Dear Mrs B, Take care. I can quite understand the turmoil you are going through, I faced it recently myself. Hope your dad remains cheerful and gets better soon. All the best for the book tour and I am sure to tell my fav book store to try and import it. Cookbooks dont' sell much here though. Funnily enough, self help books are quite the rage.

Sally said...

I'm so happy to have found your blog through Meeta. Good luck on your book and my prayers are with your father. TAke care.

Mrs. B said...

This is why I love the blogging world. Everyone is so supportive and giving. My father continues to go downhill, but hanging in there. We are off for a planned vacation, which we paid for and couldnt get a refund. Since I will only be 3 hours away, I plan on coming home once or twice during the vacation to be with my dad. Hopefully I will have some internet access while in the mountains. I don't think I can handle the withdrawls of being without alll you bloggers and my daily reads.

Anonymous said...

Strength for you and your family. And good luck with your book and organizing the chaos into a situation you can handle. Your card is very nice, Mexico is a great country and the food ....... to lick your fingers. Enjoy your holiday.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.