Monday, January 25, 2010

A Kitchen Odyssey: Renovation Status

I’ve have spent a lot of time over the last three months researching, shopping and buying what we need for our kitchen renovation. In hindsight, it would have been such a relief to hire a designer to do this. But I didn’t want to give up any part of our budget for that. There are times—like yesterday when I was overwhelmed with tile choices for our backsplash—that I kick myself for the decision. But I soldier on, with the help of Mr. B and Brilliant Daughter.

Here is the status of the project:

Demo: Starts today.

Dumpster: Delivery tomorrow. Redwood Debris Service.

Cabinets: KraftMaid Huntington in Maple Praline, purchased from Grand Tile. Includes a whole new run of cabinets with pantry. Lots of extras, like spice inserts, pull out pot drawers, glass fronts for my tea pot collection.

Counter: Giallo Fiorito granite from Brazil, purchased from Grand Tile. Three slabs of 2x8, plus a 4-inch backsplash for the stove run. We also may order one more slab to use as a bar that would sit on top of the 4 inch backsplash and extend into the office/dining room.

Sink: Ticor SS3510 Undermount 16-Gauge Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink. 30-inch single-bowl stainless steel, with rinse grid and cutting board, purchased online from Galaxy.

Range: BlueStar stainless steel 36-inch all-gas range., with island trim and 6 burners, purchased from Davies Appliance. This puppy can cook—22,000 BTUS but can simmer on 130 BTUs. Gonna make canning easy. Oven is huge and will accommodate commercial cookie pans.

Backsplash: there are 3 elements to the backsplash. The bottom 6 inches is made of 2x2 tiles in a beige textile. The there is a 2-inch band of cristallo retro desert glass tiles (varying sizes and colors), then comes the 12x12 beige textile tiles. Purchased from United Tile.

Permit: Our friend, and hubby to our realtor, Loren Dakin, walked me through the whole process, making it painless. Filled out the form, showed up at 7:30 am at the city office with him and I was out within a half hour.

Lighting: While I have not purchased this yet, we will replace our 3 center cans with fluorescent cans and add two undercabinet fluorescents. This will satisfy the Title 24 requirement. In addition, I will keep the two small existing cans over the sink. We will also replace the halogen fixture over what was the eating area. NOTE: Our fan hood also has 4 halogen lights.

Floor: Aztec Cherry, slightly darker than the cabinets, purchased at Lumber Liquidators. We will use this in the kitchen, office/dining and replace the hallway carpet.

Hood: SPAGNA VETRO 42" Island-Mounted Stainless Steel Range Hood - SV218Z2-I42. This is an affordable 42-inch hood that should work just fine. There certainly are cheaper models out there, but it will cost about one-third of the high-end hoods made by well-known brands.

Paint: No clue.

Faucet: We may be able to get a replacement head for our existing faucet. If not I have a few new ones in mind. Still cannot decide between integral sprayer or side sprayer.

Baseboards: Nothing yet.

Foyer floor: Really having trouble with this one. I found something I really like online, but I am afraid it might be too expensive. I’m hoping to go to the Daltile store in San Leandro next Saturday.

Door: We have a hollow-core, really cheap door that leads from the kitchen to the garage. I’m gonna go scour Urban Ore in Berkeley next weekend for a proper solid door to replace it.

Hardware: Our existing cabinet pulls are nice, but not practical. They are broad, meaning that food and spills get on them and they constantly need to get wiped down. I’m going to have to go look at new ones, but haven’t done so yet.

I’m sure there are a few things I have forgotten here. I’m not thinking too clearly as I have had a cold for a week that doesn’t want to vacate my body. I am hoping to throw it out in the dumpster with all the refuse. Wish me luck….

1 comment:

Eric - KraftMaid Cabinetry of Seattle said...

Fantastic choice on cabinetry! Huntington Maple is one of my favorites . . . and Praline's golden finish is timeless. Enjoyed reading your Blog. Now with the experience you have gained during this process, YOU can claim to be THE kitchen designer!