Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Palak Paneer - recipe tester's comments

Jenna of Jennatarianism blog fame was kind enough to take time out of her busy work schedule to test the recipe for palak paneer (a traditional Indian dish with spinach and fresh cheese). Unfortunately her post got lost in the blogosphere somewhere, so she emailed me the comments:

The recipe was so so easy, and turned out really great. There are, of course, two things that would have made the recipe easier for me, and this would be the Garam Masala and the Paneer, both of which I had to make. The paneer was so fun to make, and so easy, that I would suggest including a recipe for it in your book, but it's probably too late for that, come to think of it.

If there are folks out there who don't have paneer available to them (people like me who live in communities with little to no Indian population, hence no Indian grocery), all they have to do really is google "how to make paneer" and they'll have a gaggle of recipes to choose from. Hey! A gaggle from google! How clever!

The garam masala was actually my fault. I know it's a fairly common spice blend, but I forgot to pick it up at the store, and was too lazy to go back a second time, so looked that up as well and threw it together from what I had on hand.

While Indian cuisine is among my favorites, it's always a little intimidating to make because the spice prep is often pretty lengthy and intensive. This was not the case with your recipe! Very accessible to a cook at any level!

I brought the dish to work, along with some naan and basmati rice, and fed it to our cellar crew here at the winery. They said it needed meat (men!) but everyone loved it.

No comments: